I was emailing one of my friends who said that he liked to read my emails in a Scottish accent, so I thought I'd try writing one like it's said, with (missionary appropriate) slang and humor. Also in celebration of Scotland making it to the World Cup for the first time since 1998. KEMMON LADS!! INTAE THEM!!!
MONDAY
We went tae Mod Pizza fir lunch. It wis pure banging, like. You just cannae beat a gid BBQ pizza. Actual class.
Ah got properly skelped at pickleball. I did so many knee slides fir the ba that ye'd hink that ah wis rippin a guitar solo or somethin. Ah feel masel gettin better an better at basketball, but it's been ah gid few months since ahve played fitba (mtc doesnae coont, that wis abysmal), so ah'll need tae be moved tae a Ward that does a fitba night or somethin, cos ah miss it, like.
CHOOSDAY
Ah dinnae ken much of whit happened oan choosday, but ah ken that ah shared irn bru wi ma district. Wan o tha missionaires asked how fast ah could chug wan, but ah didnae ken, cos ah'd nivver done wan before. Ah'm no wan tae back doon fae a challenge involvin food or drink, so ah did it in 16.75 seconds, but ah could've gone faster.
We had a dinner appointment, and that wis gid. Gyros. Some gid scran right there.
WEDDINSDAY
Ah woke up at 6.30, an I felt like somewan had blowtorch ma throat an put the river nile up ma nose. Throughoot the hail day ah wis feelin peely wally, an no quite oan top o' ma game, but no bad enough to be in bed a' day. Luckily, today wis quite easy compared to other days ah've had. We had interviews today wi the mission president. After, we went oan what's been dubbed "Sister Sherman Side Quests." Basically, we went roond some flats fir a checkup, then went fir lunch. By the time we wir done, it was aboot 3pm, and had done no regular missionary work. We had an interestin lesson oan campus wi three students who wir asking survey questions aboot Christianity. They approached us, hinkin that we wir students, but we told them aboot missionary work, an they asked fir pointers, since they were doin basically the same thing! We had a nice coversation, then all o' a sudden, a member shows up ootta nowhere like LDS batman, an starts testifying aboot the Book of Mormon and the God Head. Sadly, I dinnae hink they'll be progressing, but only time will tell
THURSDAY
No much happend oan Thursday. This wis the only time where ah've no nearly fallin asleep during weekly planning, which is a great achievment.
FRIDAY
Another ZL exchange, so ah wis wi Elder Nelson and Denton. It's strange bein ina trio, cos texts an calls wis harder tae sit through than Scotland v Germany in the euros. Usually, wan person calls an the other texts people that dinnae pick up, but wi three folk it's hard tae be productive. It was still a gid day, like. We had a good lesson, and one of the members wi had taught false doctrine, twice, fir the second time. The bloke we taught is still interested though, so that's nice.
We had a trivia night at the church, an I'm pleased tae report that there were two questions relatin' tae Scotland. I'm less pleased tae report that ah only knew wan of them. Ah got the national animal o scotland, the unicorn (aye, its true), but how wis i supposed tae ken that curling was invented in scotland? Ah didnae ken that! Ah wis havin a pure identity crisis, thinkin ahd need tae hand in ma young scot card an tartan ties, but it's no that bad. Ah dinnae hink anybody else got it, so weir a' gid.
SATURDAY
Another exchange wi Elder Nelson an Denton. This wan was tough. We felt unmotivated maist o the time an although we did great work fir their area book, it wis a tough day. Wan word o advice ah've got fir other missionaries, is that if yer unmotivated, yer companion(s) will be. So just put on a brave face and pretend to enjoy it, an ye'll enjoy it aifter a while. Fake it till ye make it!
SUNDAY
(In respect to the sabbath this will be in regular english)
I gave a talk at sacrament meeting today! I introduced myself, a month and a half into my time at the YSA. I spoke about how unscottish I was (no kilt, or bagpipes). I misspoke and now everyone thinks I like american football. Yay!
I was gonna mention deep fried mars bars, and fish and chips, and irn bru, and black pudding, but the talk was only supposed to be five minutes, and I actually had to talk about spiritual stuff. It was a good talk, I'm proud of it.
We also had a bunch of new people at church that we didn't expect to be there, some that showed up two hours early! That was fun though. We played pool while we waited for the meetings to start and got to know them better.
Phone broke again. We found the real problem though. It was my charger, that had been eating my phones. Number Four for the win!
Spiritual thought for the week comes from 1 Corintians 10:13 in the New Testament. One of the people we called asked for a scripture about resisting temptation, and this was it.
"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it"
God will never allow you to be tempted above what you can't get out from. He knows your potential, and only allows trials that will strengthen you and your faith. Do not give up. He is there for you
Side note: I really want someone to ask me to say a prayer in Scottish. That would be so funny. Slightly irreverent, but funny
Elder Black
No comments:
Post a Comment