Monday, 2 March 2026

When they said do a stand on campus, I don't think they meant this...

I can't remember anything 
Can't tell if this is true or a dream

Nah its true. I just really wanted to quote a song. Honestly sometimes I feel like this is a fever dream, and I'm gonna wake up back home in tullibody cos my dog forced the door open. But im still enjoying it here. Still adjusting, but I reckon in my fifteenth transfer I'll still be adjusting. 

Anyway, on with the show! This was a cool week. My Mexican counterpart resurfaced, Miguel. He's not changed, but now that I've answered all the questions that he could possibly ask he's more enjoyable to teach. 
Still though, he's someone that Michael would get along really well with, but Elder Black is here to baptise nations

This is something that's been an interesting experience on my mission, is that there are many ways that you can "Invite others to come unto Christ" and part of the joy of missionary work, for me anyway, are experimenting with the different ways that you can do that. You can just walk straight up to people with what I call "Utahn naivety" and say "you wanna come to church?" Or you can get to know them a little and relate to them, adapt to the situation and base your invitation on what they'd need. I say this like I'm an expert on it, and im not. Probably never will be, but it's cool to see the diverse ways that you can fulfil your missionary purpose

We have a lot of potentially progressing friends who only come to activities. We try to set up lessons with them while they're at events, and they just say "I don't know my schedule yet. Ill get back to you" and guess what. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that uni students are busy and really uncommital. Except for Mason. That's my boy right there. 

I say that, then we have two previously uninterested friends come to church and say that they're down for lessons! This is truly a miracle, and it means we can actually set up lessons outside of activities! We've had a real shortage recently, and it'll be good to get the ball rolling again

We got bashed on campus for an hour the other day. This guy, Marco, we'd met the day before, who was really cool back then, came up to the stand and we started chatting it up. Then, he miraculously spotted his friend midway through our conversation who could "bridge the gap" between us because he was an ex-member, Colin. He taught what we would teach, then we started talking about our conversion stories. While I was chatting with Colin, Marco goes off and starts being a nuisance to other missionaries. He used the same routine as he used on us the day before. He'd also used it on us today as well. Basically just a really long and "gotcha!" way of explaining faith & works vs grace. Anyway, Colin spoke to us for about 45 mins after that, and basically broke down everything he hated about our church, and how people don't really ask questions about what he saw were the "fundamentals of the Mormon church" and whatnot. It felt like Elder Kieffer and I were being subject to a really big and elaborate sting operation, because they spoke in a very scripted way and they'd just told us that they were just at the JWs stand. We then made Marco a red dot, and that probably sets a mission record. Friend with a return appointment to red dot in less than 24 hours

The Elders Quorum had an activity where we made our own pizzas. Just like the one last week but with considerably less grunge and Led Zepplin. Still fun tho, had probably the best game of Table Tennis that I'd played. I still lost like 21-18, but it was still a really good game. It's ok though, because on the way home we always walk past this one house, and it's known for having parties with live bands. They were on that night, and were playing "School" by Nirvana, but wouldn't you believe it, it's just my luck that I'm an ambassador for the Lord, so no parties for me. Only spiritual festivities. 

Spiritual thought!
Mark 13:11 says:
"But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost."
This doesn't mean that we shouldn't prepare, but it means to have trust in the Lord. If we study and pray about what to say, then we will already know what we're going to say. 
And we don't convert people. It's the spirit

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment