Monday, 19 January 2026

Doggies!


Well it certainly was a boring four days since last pday. Not that many interesting things happened aside from a few highlights 

We went to the temple on Thursday, which is always nice. It's such a sacred place, and I always feel the spirit there. I did not feel the spirit when my companion ordered an "Oscar Burger" at the diner we went to after. For context, that's my dog's name. I felt very uncomfortable in how much he enjoyed it.  

We had a dinner appointment with a member of the bishopric, and his dog is sooo high energy! Very cute and huggable. I hope my dog doesn't get jealous. It was a great day. We made (yes, made) pizzas and had a great time!

The sisters had another baptism. That makes five baptisms in the space of three transfers, which is awesome! It's really nice to see people make covenants with the Lord and grow closer to Jesus Christ! I got told that I was playing hymns the night before, so that was stressful. It didn't help that I'd never played one of them before, and never heard the other played, nor played it myself. I think I did OK though.
Our friend, Mason, is getting baptised on Sunday! I'm really excited to see him take the next step in his journey. I taught him how to tie a tie the other week, and he loves history, so we are able to talk about that a lot. I'm able to put all that time reading Horrible Histories to use, finally. Who knew it would help me help someone enter into the covenant. 
 
Uno no mercy again at bible study. There was one game we played where i was doing really well. I was just about to get out, then someone lands a +2, then the next thing i know is that there's been three +10s played, and I've got to pick up up 32 cards. If you dont know, in Uno no mercy, if you get over 25 cards you're out. So i was eliminated. I was so close! I'm still laughing about it to this day, and it's a fun memory that I'll cherish. 

We had a very last minuite dinner appointment with a member, and it was nice. He did a spicy sauce challenge with one of the elders, and took a little bit of tobacco habeรฑero sauce. I was tempted to join in, but i didn't want to embarrass them. I really like spicy food, and have been trained in the arts by my father, so I felt like i needed to stay out. We did get some ghost pepper sauce, which i put on my cheese toasties. That's a grilled cheese to you Americans (which, by the way, is a stupid name). 

So yeah not much happened this week. Or rather, in the four days since I wrote my last email. I'm still doing fine. I get moments where I wish that I was home more than anything, but for the most part I'm happy with where I'm at. I got challenged to write a missionary parody of the Phineas and Ferb theme song, so I'm working on that. I'm also writing another parody called "Wake Me Up When Stake Conference Ends" which is still in the works, but I'll put them on my Google Photos when they're finished. It sucks only being allowed to play instruments on pdays, because I used to play music almost every day back home, and it sucks only playing once a week. But hey, that's a very small problem to worry about in the grand scheme of things. It could be worse. And I'm grateful for that

I was reading 2 Nephi 33 the other day. It's one of my favourite chapters in the Book of Mormon. It's the last thing that Nephi writes on the gold plates (3 Nephi and 4 Nephi are different people) and it's just great. The first verse is awesome. It says:
"And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men."
My first thought when reading this is that Nephi is a big fat liar, becuase he's responsible for so many bangers in his writing, but the more I thought about it, and applied this verse into my own life, I realised that he's right. It's all the Holy Ghost, and we are just the translators, or the vessels by which the Holy Ghost speaks through. 

I've taught lessons where the spirit has been present, and they're really good lessons. I've also taught lessons where the spirit got the wrong address and never showed up on time, and they've been really tough to teach. It didn't help that my exchange companion didn't do anything, but that's not important. When someone speaks by the power of the Holy Ghost, it really does carry it unto the hearts of men, and works wonders for yourself. Every time we have a great lesson, it just reaffirms my faith in God, and helps me remember why I am here, and why God has decided to bless my life with fortune, even though I don't deserve it. He sees our full potential, and guides us to it, directly or indirectly. I'm incredibly grateful for God's hand in my life, becuase if it want for Him, then I've got no idea where I'd be. 

Count your blessings, guys. Seriously. Name them one by one. See what God has done for you, and believe in him. He is real, he loves you, and will never abandon you. Start making those changes in your life to fully capitalise on the blessing that God had given you. Make your lives a little brighter. As a great friend of mine once said, "If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself, and make a change. 
Na-na-na, na-na-na, nana-nana"

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment