Thursday, 15 January 2026

How I Met Your Mother

I'm writing this on Monday, when we were supposed to have our pday, but it got moved to today, and I've already forgotten everything that happend this week. Yay!
All the days roll into one. I feel like I'm confusing what happened last wednesday with Saturday, and Sunday with Tuesday. Its hard to remember what happens on what days. But thankfully i keep a journal, so most of the stuff that's in my emails is straight from there. 
I'm writing this today, and the rest of the week has been so hectic that im extra thankful for my journal!

We put our friend, Mason, on date for baptism! He is so ready, and I saw him get a bit emotional when we talked about the Spirit world and baptisms for the dead, so he's getting baptised on the 25th of January. Another one of our friends who we gave to the Mandarin elders is also getting baptised on that day, which is awesome!

I went to get a haircut last week, and it was great. Everything is a lot more expensive here, so it makes sense that the haircut was $40 (no it doesn't, that's ridiculous). However, the barbers had two TVs on, one playing the Africa Cup of Nations, and the UEFA Champions league final, so at least i got to watch Egypt v Benin and Liverpool v Real Madrid. Its been ages since I've watched a football game, and it wad awesome. I'd pay it again to see that. 

I met two of our freind's mums. One of our friends, Arjun, brought his mum to church after accidentally going to the Church of Christ instead of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but they made it for the end, and they're also really eager to come to church! Arjun's mum is cool, and we talked for a while about stuff. We also met Miguel's mum. You might remember miguel from a few emails ago. He asks questions that the MTC doesn't prepare you for. More on him in a second, but right now I want to talk about Miguel's mum. She is very cool, and we also met his brother. They're all basically variations of the same person, and it's great. I'd get along with them really well if i wasn't a missionary and trying to teach them about how they can receive eternal life. His mum has met with missionaires before, and knew what we were about and the wrong questions to ask. We just spoke about how prophets aren't perfect and left it at that, and she seemed fine with it. She's gone through the routine, and knew what to expect. She's just so cool. Miguel wasn't able to come to institute or church or anything becuase he was spending time with her, and that's fine. If you don't have time for your mum, then who do you have time for?

Finally had a kebab. So good
Also filmed an ad for the church with the admins (tech missionaires). So if you see me telling you to go to church, go to church!

Went on an exchange with Elder Brooks who I came out with. It was an adventurous day. We have a friend who we just need to meet up with. His name is Marcus. Our tactic recently has been to call him up and ask if we can swing by today. He said yes, and he'd give us a call when he gets home from shopping in about an hour. We went down to his house, then realised we got on the wrong bus. But becuase of that, we had a really nice conversation with a sweet old lady who loves talking to missionaires! She would take a Book of Mormon, but we made her day. Some more bus shenanigans later and we finally got to his house. He wasn't there. But we had some decent conversations on the way. We got harassed by some evangelicals from the Church of Christ or something. Being on the other end of missionary work really gives you an understanding of why people don't like us that much. 

We had a two hour lesson with Miguel. Our plan was that we'd play a game of pool or two, then go into the lesson. It's strange teaching him, becuase I fear that we are too casual with him. We need to be bold. We taught one maybe two principles in two hours, becuase he asked questions that the MTC doesn't prepare you for. Nothing we'd talked about already, he'd leveled up and asked questions about the nature of God before he was God, and I don't know enough about that to answer it. Miguel is a politician's worst nightmare, becuase he will dismantle and deconstruct every single thing you say to him, put a spin on it that's not ture, but not false. Very much "so what you're saying is..." that kinda stuff. Ach well. We know how to deal with him now, and that's what matters

Yesterday was probably one of the best days I've had on the mission. So much happened that it felt like three days rolled into one. We did a stand on campus with a whiteboard that said "What brings you joy?" It went really well. I had some concerns, becuase i know uni students aren't the most mature, but we only had one incident, which was cool. We met this super elect guy called Bryson, who's probably gonna be put on date by the end of next week, which is awesome!
All three ysa companionships made ten friends that day, six going to the sisters. There was another stand behind us that was playing some bangers. Bruno Mars, ABBA, Nirvana, The Killers. I was having a conversation with someone, then "Free Bird" came on, and it was hard to not jam out while I was trying to get this guy to come to church. He didn't come, but at least I finally got to listen to some music. 
There was a returning member who came round and was promoting his business. He was cool, and offered us some fizzy drinks. I wasn't concerned, because I just assumed it was another brand that I didn't recognise. I got about halfway through the can before Sister Monson came and showed us that it had caffeine from green tea and coffee. So I accidentally broke the word of wisdom yesterday, but I don't think I'm gonna get docked some points when i get to the judgment bar of God. 

Speaking of the judgment bar of God, there was a talk that i was listening to from this last General Conference. The speaker references a scripture in Alma 41, in the Book of Mormon. He uses verse 7, and it says:
"These are they that are redeemed of the Lord; yea, these are they that are taken out, that are delivered from that endless night of darkness; and thus they stand or fall; for behold, they are their own judges, whether to do good or do evil."
I like to focus on the last sentence. "They are their own judges, whether they do good or evil" goes right in line with a scripture from the sermon on the mount (revolutionary thing that Jesus said) that says "Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?"
We need to be careful with what we are gathering, becuase when it's our turn to he judged after we are resurrected, and we show our hand that we've collected over this life, if we've played smart, and righteously, we are rewarded. If we fumbled, and forsook God's commandments, we face the consequences. 
Be careful what you do in this life! 

Michael 

No comments:

Post a Comment