Monday, 13 April 2026

The Scots Are Invading

This has been a good week. The days up here are no where near as exciting as the ones in seattle, but I'm enjoying the quite life. The driving up here is nice and the scenery is beautiful. 

We drove down to mt vernon twice. One was for a pday. We needed to practice a musical item with some missionaries from Oak Harbour, and Mt vernon is in the middle, so we met there. We basically spent the whole pday there. Got panda express, went to some courts and played tennis. I tried to channel my inner Andy Murray, but it didn't quite work out. 

There's another missionary from Scotland in the Washington Everett Mission! Her name is Sister Davies, and is serving as a senior missionary. She goes to the Liff ward, so if anyone knows her let me know! We got a call from Sister sherman during pday telling me that there was a new missionary from my neck of the woods, and oh boy does Sister Davies have a Dundonian accent. Just like America, Scotland has different accents based on where you live. We were chatting about mince and tatties, irn bru, and about Scotland. She knows folk in the Falkirk branch as well. 
Honestly it was so good to talk to someone from Scotland. This makes two people. One was back in the seattle ysa, he was an exchange student from Edinburgh Uni, and wasn't interested, but for some miracle we got his number. Sister sherman also gave me more irn bru, like the legend that she is. 
I also got a bunch of reports from missionaries who went to the Lamb of God Symphony last week that they ran into another missionary from Scotland, Sister Williams! I feel like the Lord is just sending Scottish folk to Washington, because three missionaries all from Scotland in Washington is too much of a coincidence to be one

Guys, I think I'm starting to like Chipotle. It mightve just been the ones in seattle, or maybe it was the things I was getting, but it's not as bad as it once was. Chipotle is also pretty cheap depending on what you get, so that's a bonus as well, but that's enough about that 

The ward had a baptism and they asked us to fill up the font. We gave it an hour and a half to fill, but by the hour mark it wasn't making great progress. So we grabbed some water containers like the ones we used for the hot chocolate stands and started getting a shiftie on. We filled it up in time, but my forearms were killing me by the end of it. The baptism went smoothly and there were no complaints about cold water

The ward mission leader in everson is great. For ward correlation meeting (the missionaries meet with the ward mission leader and brief him on what's been happening with their friends and stuff) he made us some good food, and he ordered some Irn Bru for us to have. I seem to be fulfilling my secondary missionary purpose, go expose as many people to Scottish culture as possible, and make it seem appealing to live there

Also, not that I'm complaining, but why does everyone up here have a dog? We've knocked so many doors where I swear Cerberus himself lives there. This one member's house had about five dogs, all varying in shapes and sizes. One was no bigger than a toaster, the other was as tall as my abdomen. I don't know what they're feeding the dogs up here, but it might be infused with steroids

Spiritual thought!
No idea how I found these scriptures, but I found them and I like them.
2 Timothy 2:10-12
"Therefore I endure all things for the elect’s sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us"
Paul is writing to Timothy in these verses. I like to think of it as an older missionary writing an email to a newer one who is struggling. Paul is writing to Timothy to give him confidence. And by extension, I feel like he's writing to all the missionaries who are struggling. 

See you next week!
Uploaded Image Uploaded Image Uploaded Image Uploaded Image Uploaded Image

No comments:

Post a Comment