It's been a long week and a half without a pday. It's been rough, but we're going to the temple, so that's exciting. Not exciting that we had to wake up at 5am to head down. Probably gonna take a nap after I'm done this email. It's a long one, so brace yersel.
Every day these past weeks has always had something exciting happen, so no matter how boring the day was, there was always a good thing that occurred, which was really good because some of these days are really boring. Just driving not even five minuites to contacts and lessons is alright, but it gets really repeptitive after a while. Maybe this is what the next year and a half is gonna look like, but we just keep going. Look at the little wins and all that
There's some great Mexican food around here, and it makes sense, because the population is probably about somewhere between 20-30%, so we run into a lot of Hispanic folk. We were out knocking and one guy claimed to be the devil. Really funny conversation through his door about the legitimacy of his statement. I doubt it though.
We went to the English Class to help out the hermanas teach. I simultaneously understand and had no clue what they were talking about. It was fun though, because i just talked about football with one of the guys for the whole lesson.
The everson ward did a pinewood derby last week. I would add a photo of my car, but I forgot to take one. We're heading down to the temple, bright and early. I woke up at 5am today. But, however, on the way back from the temple we're gonna be driving through my roots, Seattle! Stopping by a nice food spot in the U district, because they have some of the best food there. Anyway, the pinewood derby was fun. I didn't win any of the races, but i still had a blast
I would say that the everson ward is probably around the same size as my home ward, but the lynden ward (I'm covering both of them) is huuuuuge. Probably bigger than the Edinburgh stake. I'm measuring it based of how many deacons pass the sacrament, which is six in this ward. We also went to the youth night, and I kid you not there were probably more youth there than when I went to stake youth activities.
I finally have dinner appointments, and it's glorious. It's also really good that they feed us, because we've been more skint than when I was living in seattle. I dunno where all the money goes, but I'm thankful for the members who feed us. It's good food as well, and their families are great to get along with
We taught seminary one morning. It went alright. I had great seminary teachers back home, and I'm not saying that just because they're on the mailing list. I did not do as well, but it was alright. I'm not a classroom teacher at all, so it was a little harder for me than my companion, but we still did a good enough job
Moving into the new ward I'm basically starting fresh again, getting asked all the same questions about my scottish heritage, and everyone is shocked by my un-americanness. I basically say the same things every time:
"It's not a skirt, it's a kilt"
"No, I don't have a kilt"
"Nope, that's Irish"
"Yes, I love haggis. It's a very unique taste"
"Yes, Nessie is real"
"That's cool! London is on the other side of the UK from me"
*then i have to explain what the UK is*
"That's cool that you're great-great-great grandma was scottish. Probably don't know her, but that's cool"
"I don't know much about UK politics to answer that correctly"
"We're not supposed to talk about local politics, so I can't answer that"
"The weather is pretty similar to here, honestly. Little colder, but similar"
"It's pronounced Edin-bruh"
"Yeah I dunno why it's spelt that way if it's said that way, but that's how you say it"
Every. Single. Interaction.
I've been asked many things as well. Some things are really stupid
"Do they celebrate ________ in Scotland?"
- Halloween
- Thanksgiving
- Christmas
- 4th of July (really)
- Valentine's day
- Veteran's day
"Do they have _______ in Scotland?"
- Coke
- Subway (the food place)
- Subways (the transport)
- Good food
- Mountains
- Guns (no)
- Water Guns
- Good music (yes)
- Culture (more than you big man)
- Drake
- Speeding
- Temples (almost)
- People
- Earrings
- Trucks
It's so repetitive, and it's gonna be what the next year and a half looks like. People just have a lot of questions, because I'm the first european missionary who's been in the mission for a while. I heard about a missionary who was from England, but she left way before my time. I would love to have a European companion. We would baptise our whole area
Spiritual thought is Mormon 9:12, and it says
"Behold, he created Adam, and by Adam came the fall of man. And because of the fall of man came Jesus Christ, even the Father and the Son; and because of Jesus Christ came the redemption of man."
I love this because it's one of my favourite topics how the creation, the fall and the atonment of Christ all link to each other. This scripture sums it up really well and ties it all together. Because the plan is all tied together, and we should show thanks for everything that God has given us, including his son
See you in a few days!
No comments:
Post a Comment