Monday, 3 August 2026

You and I are gonna live forever.

I wrote my last email in a hurry, so didn't really go in depth into much stuff. But I plan to make a redemption. 

Last email I mentioned that my uncle came into town to see me. What I didn't mention was he took us to World Market and got us a while bunch of Scottish and British snacks, so we're practically set for the transfer. He took us out to shake shack for dinner as well, and even came to the volleyball night our ward does. It was a great end to pday and made a highlight of my mission. 

A lot of people have commented on the similarity of Elder Potter and I. We do look pretty similar, so we tell everyone that we're cousins. 12th cousins, to be specific, we checked on family search. Technically I'm right when I say that. Because when it comes to matters like this I must not tell lies

Also, there's soooo many french people over here. I honestly didn't expect it, but Washington state seems to be constantly surprising me with the people that we run into. The sheer amount of diversity is really surprising to me. I still think London is the most diverse place I've been to, but Washington is a close second.

Also, the ward that I'm serving in, Harbour Pointe, is roughly triple the size of my ward back home. At least, members that come to church. I did the maths necessary. They have four people passing the sacrament, and the trays have a 4x9 configuration for the water. And all the trays were empty by the end of sacrament meeting. That means 4x4x9, which is 144. It might be a little outdated information, since I've not been to my home ward in almost a year but that's just a bit under triple the size. I might be wrong on that, but still the ward is huuuuuge in my eyes.

Spiritual thought time! Little bit of a mood killer, but I want to talk about it

Last week it came to my attention that seattle lost one of its finest people, Carlos.
He took his own life. 
He was a living generator of light. I had the pleasure of meeting this guy, and watching the gospel change him. His struggle was real, and I'm glad I got to play a part in his spiritual journey. I'd never seen the gospel work within someone like I had Carlos, and how much of an impact he had on others and myself. I think he was the first person I saw the gospel truly change, from returning member to one of the Seattle YSAs biggest influences on the ward. His life was one I'm glad I was a part of. Sadly, Carlos is no longer with us on this mortal plane, but I'm grateful for God's merciful plan, allowing us to have eternal joy and happiness in times to come. Carlos will definitely be living it up in the spirit world, and residing in the paradise that Alma talks about in his chat with his sons. 

"And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow."

Then this quote from the late Elder Holland's "Fear Not: Believe Only"

"Before you ever received the gift of the Holy Ghost, you had the Light of Christ planted in your soul, that “light which is in all things, … giveth life to all things,” and is the influence for good in the hearts of all people who have ever lived or ever will live. That light was given to protect you and teach you. One of its central messages is that life is the most precious of all gifts, a gift which is obtained eternally only through the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. As the Light and Life of the World, the Only Begotten Son of God came to give us life by conquering death.
We must commit ourselves fully to that gift of life and run to the aid of those who are at risk of giving up this sacred gift. Leaders, advisers, friends, family—watch for signs of depression, despair, or anything hinting of self-harm. Offer your help. Listen. Make some kind of intervention as appropriate."

I'm grateful for God's merciful plan. While it may seem frustrating at times, just remember that we can't comprehend eternity, and thus can't understand the joy that we will feel when we are back with God. His role in our life is indispensable. 
His love for us is unfathomable, and if anyone deserves the celestial kingdom, it's Carlos

Sorry to end on a low note, but find joy in the gospel. Remember God's plan, and everything will be well
Uploaded Image Uploaded Image

No comments:

Post a Comment